Food mentioned in “On the Banks of Plum Creek”
– plums, eaten fresh and dried in the sun to preserve some for winter.
– the family has a cow, so there is milk and butter.
– they have hens, so there are eggs as well.
Meat and fish
– Pa goes hunting, so they have some rabbits and venison.
– Pa catches fish:
– Ma has planted potatoes and turnips (see part 1)
-Pa grows wheat but they can´t harvest for some time, so they use store-bought cornmeal and flour.
– Mary and Laura have bread and butter for school lunch
– hoarhound candy
– parched corn
– candy “some pieces were like ribbons, bent in waves. Some were short bits of round stick candy and on their flat ends were colored flowers that went all the way through. Some were perfectly round and striped.”
– at Nellie´s party they get served lemonade and sugar-white cake (cake sprinkled or frosted with white sugar – a luxury item)
– corn dodgers and molasses
– stewed goose with dumplings and gravy, stewed dried plums, mashed potatoes.
oysters / canned